One of the effective methods to increase sales in online stores is to offer free gift products. In this method, the giveaways are offered to the customers when they buy a certain number of products or a specified amount from the online shop. Buy 2 get 1 free in WooCommerce is a common marketing strategy that can increase the number of orders as well as boost product sales. This technique is also one of the best ways to boost sales of products on specific occasions or increase the leads significantly.
Because it is not possible to offer promotions by default in WooCommerce, in this post, we introduce the free gifts for WooCommerce plugin. This plugin allows you to increase your sales by creating different free gift offering rules in your WooCommerce store. The simple user interface of this plugin is designed so that you can create various types of promotion rules with a few simple clicks.
Let’s review the steps to create the buy 2 get 1 free rule in WooCommerce with this plugin.
Step 1: Install and activate the plugin
To use free gifts for WooCommerce plugin, first download, install, and activate it on your WordPress website. Then navigate to the below address to visit the Rules page:
WordPress Dashboard > Woo Free Gift > Rules| Settings
On this page, you can create a new rule by pressing the Add Rule button. Then, to offer the buy 2 get 1 free gift rule on your website, follow the next step.
Step 2: Define buy 2 get 1 free gift rules in WooCommerce
When you decide to offer to buy two get one free gift products in your online store, first, you have to decide about the scenario of offering free gifts to your customers. In the following, we will provide some of the most popular scenarios for promoting the buy 2 get 1 free rule to help you make the best deal on your website based on your customer purchase behavior.
Scenario #1: Buy 2, get 1 free from the same product
This scenario is useful when you want to increase the sales of any product on your online store. To create this rule, follow the below instructions:
- Open the dropdown list of the Method field and choose Buy x Get x from the list.
- In the Quantities & settings field, write 2 and 1 for the Buy and Get fields, respectively.
- In the Product-Buy section, click on the Add Product button then, choose Product in the first field, then In the list for the second field, and finally, add the name of the product(s) you want to apply the rule in the third box. You can add as many products as you want in this section to offer free gifts when customers order them from your site.
Note: If you don’t add any products in the Product- Buy section, the rule will be applied to all products in your online store.
For example, we added a T-shirt in the Products-Buy section. So, as you can see in the below picture when customers order 2 shirts from the site, a list of all available shirts as the same gift is displayed on the cart page to them. Now, customers can add one more shirt to their cart as a gift from the list.
Scenario #2: Buy 2 products from one category, get 1 free from the other products
The other Scenario is practical for store managers who want to boost the sales of products in one category by offering special gifts to their customers.
Here you can find how to add this rule to your online store:
- Choose the Buy x Get y method from the list.
- Add 2 and 1 in the Buy and Get fields of the Quantities & Settings section, respectively.
- In the Products-Buy section, press the Add product button, then select Product Category from the first list. Choose “In list” for the second box, and add the categories you want to apply the rule in the third box – in this example, we added Accessories. However, you can add as many categories as you want in this section.
- In the Products-Get section, you can include/exclude any products or Categories/tags/Taxonomies to offer as free gifts to your customers. In this example, we chose a T-shirt in the Include Product field.
Now, when customers order two products from the Accessories category like below, they can choose one T-shirt as a free gift from the list on the WooCommerce cart page:
Scenario #3: Buy 2 on sale products, get 1 free gift from the other product repeatedly
This is an ideal marketing strategy if you want to sell the on-sale products of your shop quickly. Let’s review the steps for running this rule on the green gifts for the WooCommerce plugin:
- Choose Buy x Get y repeat from the Method field. This method instructs the plugin to repeat the rule endlessly when customers add more X products to their carts. For example, if they order 4 products, 2 gifts are offered; if they order 6 products, 3 gifts are offered and go on.
- Set the Quantities & Settings section just like in previous examples.
- In the Products-Buy section, open the first dropdown list, find the Product Property item, choose the Product is on sale option, and then select Yes in the second combo box.
- In the Products-Get section, we added a T-shirt as the previous example. However, you can include/exclude any products or categories in this section.
As you may notice, when customers add two products from any on-sale products like the below, the selected T-shirts will be offered to them as free gifts and they can choose.
Extra feature of free gift for WooCommerce plugin
In addition to setting common rules for offering free gifts in WooCommerce, as we described before, there are some extra features available in free gifts for WooCommerce plugin. These features allow you to have more control over offering rules on your website. Let’s get familiar with some of these features:
Auto add free gifts to the cart
If you want the plugin to add free gifts automatically to the customer’s cart, mark the Auto Add Gift To Cart option in the Quantities & Settings section:
For example, when we active this option for the first scenario – buy 2, get 1 (the same product)- one T-shirt was added to the customer’s cart automatically after they ordered two T-shirts:
Offer free gift products on specific dates
One of the most common usages of offering free gifts is for boosting sales of products on special occasions like Black Friday, Christmas, Valentine, etc. In the free gifts for WooCommerce plugin, we designed the Condition box to let you set any date and time for offering free gifts in your online store.
For example, consider that you want to offer free gifts to your customers when purchasing products from your shop during October. To do this, you can follow the below instructions:
- Create a Rule and set the Rule Method as well as Quantities & Settings, Product Buy, and Product Get sections.
- In the Condition box, click on the Add Condition button, then choose Date & Time from the dropdown list of the first box.
- Choose From for the second box, then use the built-in calendar in the third box and select 2023.10.01. You can also set a time in the last column of this calendar
- Add another condition and choose Date and Time again. Then select To in the second box and set the date to 31.10.2023 in the third box.
- By clicking on the Save Changes, the rule will be activated on your online shop. So, when customers buy products from your website during October, free gifts will be offered to them.
Offer free gift products based on special user role
If you want to respect your loyal customers, offering free gifts by user role is your best choice. By following the below steps, you can conditions for offering promotions to specific roles:
- Repeat the mentioned steps in the above examples to add a new rule like buy 2 get 1 free in WooCommerce.
- Press the Add condition button, then choose the User Role option from the Customer tab in the first dropdown list.
- Select In the list for the second field, then choose the User role in the third box- For example, we select Shop Manager.
By pressing the Save changes button, the rule will be activated and the gift products will be displayed on the Cart Page of the shop manager’s role only.
Offer free gifts to logged users only
One of the best marketing strategies for increasing the rate of registration on your website or attracting more leads is to offer free gifts to logged users only.
The steps to add this condition to your rule are the same as the previous example, except you need to choose “Is logged in” from the Customer tab and then choose Yes in the second field.
The giveaway offer is one of the most effective marketing strategies used to encourage customers to repeat their purchases from the online store in the short term. The reason is that the free gift psychologically affects the minds of customers and encourages them to buy more.
The free gift for WooCommerce plugin allows store managers to create different rules like buy 2 get 1 free in WooCommerce and offer gift products to customers by creating various rules and setting any conditions.